Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A little bugged..

But I'm not letting it ruin my mood too much.
Met up with an awesome etsier today for some great Christmas gifts (really excited!) and I know I'll enjoy what I got for myself thoroughly. I'll post specifically what they are after Christmas so I don't rein any surprises :O)
But she asked me if I was selling at a particular arsty consignment shop that's fairly new in town and apparently pretty cool. And I immediately recognized the name because of something that happened over the past month and a half.

See, my mom is a big crafter too (and so is my sister) and they do a handful of shows over the holiday season because they're pretty popular here. Anywho, they'll take my record bowls with them sometimes when I've left some at home, and they did this. I made about 150-200 in sales for not even having been there.. so that's cool. But someone stopped by the booth at one of the shows and talked to my sister and was really excited and wanted to sell my bowls and her guitar pick earrings at their crafty hipster consignment shop. A few weeks later, they were still talking to my sister and told her "Oh, well we found out how to make the bowls ourselves. We still want your earrings." and were generally pretty rude.
She was not supportive of them saying this/doing this if they're supposed to be crafter-friendly and everything. And that's not cool at all with me.

And apparently they've got my bowls (just not made by me) for sale in their shop now.

That blows. :(

Imitation may be the greatest form of flattery, but when it's copycatting my specific craft, that really stinks because I'm losing sales and my artistic edge.

Oh well.. there isn't anything I can do anyway, right? Just a crumby situation.

And another seller on etsy has started selling record bowls in their shop that are, unfortunately, extremely similar to mine! :(



So this weekend hasn't been so great. But hopefully spending time with my family and my boyfriend and his family will make me forget all about this. And hopefully sales will pick back up some after Christmas.. I hate that I feel like I just dropped off the map.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww Amanda!!! That really does blow!!!!! I am sorry to hear that!!!!! It never fails, you find something that really only a few people can do, people start to really like it, then they steal the idea!!! I am really sorry!!!

In other news: I really hope you have a very merry Christmas and a wonderful new year!!!!!! =]

Lindsey said...

Unfortunately this happens, there are so many tutorials online now for just about anything. But don't let it get you down! I would much rather buy one from you than go through the trouble of making one myself, and there are plenty of others who feel the same way.

Have a Merry Christmas!!!